Job Title: Chief Lending Officer
The Chief Lending Officer of UFC will be responsible for independently reviewing new commercial loan opportunities, as well as monitoring, maintaining and enhancing business lending workflows. The position will be expected to function as a key lending resource for UFC Board and management, and for the funding partners and other stakeholders of the organization. This individual must possess the business and technical skills needed to underwrite, document and administer a commercial loan portfolio.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop relationships to obtain a strong understanding of the business needs, desires, abilities, and earnings to determine a suitable loan program
- Build financial projections, loan structuring, pricing, risk assessment and loan documentation for larger, more complex business loans and development projects
- Monitor existing relationships on a variety of levels, including financial trends, payment performance, and collateral and file maintenance
- Negotiate credit terms, such as interest rate, costs, loan repayment methods and collateral specifications consistent with UFC’s policies and procedures
- Formally assesses the risk ratings of proposed loans relative to UFC’s and partners credit risk management standards
- Review and analyze due diligence items including cash flow, leverage, collateral condition, market trends, sponsor & ownership structure and financial projections. Prepare credit write-ups and present to approval committees
- Actively manage client relationship throughout the loan underwriting process.
- Manage pipeline of loans and ensure proper timeline management and communication to client, UFC management and Board.
- Perform underwriting, credit analysis, analyze and spread financial statements, negotiating and closing of commercial loans in order to satisfy production goals while maintaining credit quality and credit policy adherence.
- Perform regular and timely business loan monitoring
- Maintain thorough knowledge of lending related policies, procedures, laws and regulations.
- Assure UFC’s loan documents, procedures and policies are in compliance with State and Federal Laws and Regulations.
- Keep the Chief Operating Officer apprised of any issues related to lending systems and credit quality
- Analyze and spread financial statements for existing and potential new clients. Provide preliminary recommendation as to the feasibility of the credit request.
- Establish and negotiate, where necessary, terms under which the credit could be structured, including the costs, repayment methods, and collateral requirements.
- Monitor the credit facility once it is booked, including an assessment of interim financial information, borrowing base reports, and other supporting documentation.
- Participate in loan committees on an as needed basis.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Minimum two-years’ experience either as a commercial underwriter or lender.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Active community involvement: Represent and promote UFC and partner credit unions at various civic and community functions to enhance the organization’s image and develop new business.
- Knowledge of regulations pertaining to lending, collections, bankruptcies, credit cards, and loss prevention skills.
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to manage complex projects and multi-task
- Ability to be successful with minimal guidance, be proactive, and handle uncertainty
- Prior working experience in or with Credit Unions CUSO’s, and/or financial services preferred
- Strong efficiency and skills w/ MS tools (Excel, PowerPoint), CRM systems, lending systems, etc.
- Working in a stationary position for 75% of the work day
- Utilizing the phone and computer 75%
- Moving, lifting and/or carrying 20 pounds with or without accommodations
- Bending, twisting, kneeling, stooping or crouching when appropriate, on occasion
- Repetitive movements, including but not limited to typing, mouse usage, phones, etc.
Required Work Schedule:
Standard Monday through Friday business hours as well as evenings and weekends, as needed